Adding Power and Sockets to a Loft Space
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bobs68
Labourer
Labourer

Adding Power and Sockets to a Loft Space

Post by bobs68 » Tue Jun 25, 2019 7:11 pm

I have lighting in my loft but need to put power there as well to run my trainset. How do I find a suitable live cable to extend this up into my loft space? My home is about 40 yrs old & has straw walls, which I think has the circuits currently running under the 1st floor boards, then up to the few sockets that are in each bedroom! These boards are 6 x 3 ft sheets, so I cannot just lift them to find a cable & with the walls being straw, I cannot bury a cable in the wall ?
Is there a known way around this as I would sooner NOT have trunking running up the bedroom walls?
Any advice or directions would be very welcome?

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding Power and Sockets to a Loft Space

Post by ericmark » Sun Jun 30, 2019 3:26 am

The traditional way is to use mineral insulated cable in the corner of the room which because it is both smaller and stiff can be made to blend in better, however the skill required means this is not a DIY job.

However the new alitube cable is very similar in many ways, this may work for you hiding the cable which is round better than with flat twin and earth.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 5:52 am