Adding shower to bathroom
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
scintaar
Labourer
Labourer

Adding shower to bathroom

by scintaar » Wed Aug 01, 2007 10:32 am

Hi,
We're going to be adding a shower to our bathroom and thought we'd have a crack at the installation ourselves.
Although we'd rather entrust the plumbing and electrical work to someone who knows what they're doing, we'd like to do the tiling and fix the unit.
We're having a mixer shower with pipes independent of the bath taps, and a pump installed.
Question is:
do we tile first then drill through for the pipes, or do we make the holes first then try to cut the tiles fit around the opening?
It might sound silly but we're new to this. :oops:
Thanks

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Wed Aug 29, 2007 4:28 pm

Hi scintaar
You install pipe work for shower first before you tile, these pipes will have to be counter sunk into wall. Then wall made good (pipes plastered over, to make wall even) before tiling. Measure out pipe work correctly so your shower valve fixes flush, level and in the desired spot.
Take Note: Any electrical work done in bathrooms now have to be done according to part p of the building regs. Get a qualified sparky to do the work and water regs are changing next year too. (spoil Sports)

Hope I was helpful
KB

scintaar
Labourer
Labourer

by scintaar » Thu Aug 30, 2007 11:18 am

Thanks for the reply!
I was beginning to think I smelled or sumthin! :cry:

your answer is pretty much what I was looking for and the fact that I was about to just go ahead and tile, it's saved me some trouble.

Thanks again.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 4:47 am