Adding Skylight to a Brick Built Shed Roof for Natural Light
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
caatah
Labourer
Labourer

Adding Skylight to a Brick Built Shed Roof for Natural Light

Post by caatah » Tue Oct 27, 2015 8:33 am

Hi there,

We're thinking of converting one of our outside sheds into a room which we could actually use, and our first step is to get some natural light in there.

The walls are brick, so thinking it might be easier to fit a skylight window on the roof, but just don't know where to start. I'd like to read a bit about it and see if it is something we could DIY.

Can anyone let me know roughly what needs doing, and where to shop for the correct bits? Or point me in the direction of something i could watch or read. I am fairly handy, so if its not overly complicated I reckon i could do it.

Photos attached

Thanks,
Allan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

thedoctor

Re: Adding Skylight to a Brick Built Shed Roof for Natural Light

Post by thedoctor » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:25 am

Hi Alan

You could indeed add a roof window or velux-type window or even a roof dome, there are several options.

The key to adding anything like this is ensuring that it is obviously water tight once it’s installed. We have a few projects on installing Velux windows and also sun tunnels (that include videos) that should cover pretty much all the basics e.g. cutting the roof, adding battens etc…. of what you need to know. The projects can be found here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/roofwindows.htm and here: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/in ... tunnel.htm

Hope this helps

caatah
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Adding Skylight to a Brick Built Shed Roof for Natural Light

Post by caatah » Tue Oct 27, 2015 9:45 am

Thats great, thanks for that.

I will have a look tonight!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 3:20 am