Adding Sockets to a Fixed Position Desk Unit
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Knightfury
Labourer
Labourer

Adding Sockets to a Fixed Position Desk Unit

by Knightfury » Tue Jul 07, 2015 2:03 pm

Just wanted to walk through the checks on this and make sure there's no obvious flags thrown about issues.

Will be building a desk unit to go along a full wall. The desk will be free standing but definitely static once it's all set.

I'm after having a cabinet sat on the desk (doweled and screwed to the desk surface so it's not moving either). To each side and front of a section of this cabinet I wanted to mount 3 pairs of "wall sockets". These would use back-box intended for plasterboard with tweaks needed to get them sat snuggly in the cabinet. They'll sit about 6 inches above the desk.

What I'm after doing (which is the bit I doubt would pass muster) is running cable from the back of these boxes to 3 plugs. These would plug into a switched surge protected 3 way socket, plugged into a wall socket (ring main) with RCD.

I'd be pretty shocked if this passes regs but from a safety point of view, is there much needs changing?

The 3 plugs to the back of the boxes would be well secured so there's no chance of pulling. The cable would have some slack secured so there'd just be 3 clean cables to the surge protector and the RCD socket would be well behind the desks out of the way of issue.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Adding Sockets to a Fixed Position Desk Unit

by ericmark » Wed Jul 08, 2015 7:12 am

It is in essence an extension lead so no real problem.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 4:37 pm