adding two new sockets
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
neilipswich
Labourer
Labourer

adding two new sockets

by neilipswich » Thu Feb 21, 2008 3:56 pm

Hi i want to add 2 new sockets in my bedroom, running from the existing double socket. Do i need to use a 30amp junction box to run a cable from original socket, then two wires to two new sockets or can i run a cable from the original socket and then spur this to a new socket?

The original socket has two cables going into it

thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Feb 21, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi,Neil,
you can only add one outlet (single or double) to a spur whether it comes from an existing socket on the ring or if you use a junction box.
If possible the correct/best way is to divert one of the existing cables from your socket to the first new one, then loop on to the next one & finally loop back to original socket . This then puts both new outlets 'on the ring' & leaves the possibility of later spurring from any of the 3 outlets to a further one if so needed.
An alternative to avoid messing up wall at original socket, if wooden floors, is to cut the cable going to socket, put 2 30A joint boxes (1 to each end), connect one to each new outlet with loop between new ones therebye keeping both on ring, regs say must be available for inspection so removable trap required above each J.B. hope this gives food for thought,
regards SPARX

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 2:54 am