Additional charges for material price rise
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DC90
Labourer
Labourer

Additional charges for material price rise

by DC90 » Tue Oct 19, 2021 6:34 pm

Hi there, I wonder if anyone could help.

A great builder has just finished our extension and patio. Everything is great. Except that when he sent in the bill for the final payment he has added an extra £2500 for the rise of the price in building materials.

I wish he had spoken about this before, but he hadn't. Only vaguely mentioned some time ago that he might need to charge me more because of price rises. I have a contract and a schedule of payments that mentions extras as a possibility but I don't see this as an extra.

I understand that he has to make a living and that is not easy at this time, so I want to be fair to him. But I also think that it is a little unreasonable to add this onto a bill at the end without warning.

I would welcome people's thoughts on this as I wrestle with what to do.

Bogart
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Additional charges for material price rise

by Bogart » Tue Oct 19, 2021 8:39 pm

Personally being hard nosed if you have a contract that is it. If the wording is a bit vague that is a mistake. He should have given you an up to date status of the price but frankly when I agree a price that is it no bonus.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 20, 2024 2:56 am