Advice and explination over Expansion Vessel depressurising
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
andy2510
Tradesman
Tradesman

Advice and explination over Expansion Vessel depressurising

by andy2510 » Sat Oct 04, 2008 6:08 pm

Hi all.

A little while ago (around Easter) I posted a thread on here asking for help with a de pressuring boiler, which htg_engineer pointed to the expansion vessel. From then till the time the heating was turned off for summer it worked fine.

A few weeks ago the boiler has been de pressurising again - this time with no heating on and only hot water (the boiler is a Ferroli Combi boiler by the way). Doing a test cycle of the heating the pressure has again gone up to nearly 3 (when I switched it off).

I commented at the time that the bathroom radiator developed a small leak near the bleed point. I'm assuming that because water can get out here, air can get in and cause pressure problems with the expansion vessel. I've now got a chrome towel rail which I'm installing tomorrow in lieu of this rusty radiator. Obviously this will mean draining the system manually so it'll be a good time to pressurise back to 1bar!

My thoughts are what caused the vessel to lose pressure when the heating wasn't on for nearly 6 months, and can any other factor cause problems? I don't want to replace anything else in case there was nothing wrong with it (a towel rail I'm happy with - another new radiator not so!).

Thanks for your help in advance!

Andy

andy2510
Tradesman
Tradesman

by andy2510 » Sun Oct 05, 2008 7:36 pm

Installed the towel rail, but while testing discovered it had a hole in the top! Need a replacement before we can use a sealed system again!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1