Advice and Guidance Needed on Converting basement in 3 Storey Terraced House
Your comments on how to design the perfect home - And help others do it !

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Joziu
Labourer
Labourer

Advice and Guidance Needed on Converting basement in 3 Storey Terraced House

by Joziu » Wed Mar 09, 2016 2:19 am

I'm sorry if this is the wrong topic for this forum.

I'll just get straight into it.
I Live in a three storey terrace house- just me, my partner, our friend and my partners mother (property owner). I moved over from the Isle of man to be with my partner and we have lived happily here for 7 months now. His mom is a wonderful person and she wants us to stay, it has 5 bedrooms and she needed them filling.
There's a basement, all she uses it for is the hoard junk that she never uses and she told me a while ago that if we want to do something with it, we can. As we do like to have a few house parties (which she totally joins in the fun) it would be nice to have a single area where we can all chill out and have a good time if she wants to chill in the lounge and watch a bit of Emmerdale.
So i came up with an idea to convert the basement into an area where we could 'party' without being disruptive and -wreck the house-

I've not spoke to any of them as yet because I wanted to see what is needed to do and get advice from people I don't know.

The basement is divided into 3 rooms, it's all stone on the walls, pipes from the boiler come down to the meter and the fuse box it up against the wall.
I've been looking at different guides by different people and none are telling the same story. All I got from the guides is that; it needs to be water proofed, sound proofed and some kind of pannel on the walls, but it's making no sense, I'm just looking for a step-by-step guide from A-Z.
My father is a ''jack-of-all-trades'' but I can't just get him to come over to help out, I just need some advice on where to start before calling friends from various trades to see if they could help out.
Please could someone give me a link and/or advice.

tileclipproman
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Advice and Guidance Needed on Converting basement in 3 Storey Terraced House

by tileclipproman » Wed Mar 23, 2016 8:54 am

I presume you want to make one room out of the three.
step 1
the most important aspect is wether or not the walls you are looking to remove are loadbearing this wiil determine the size and quantity of steels you will need
to support upper levels which will effect head height,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:12 am