ADVICE FOR CONSUMER UNIT IN SHED,PLEASE
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
BOXMAN32
Labourer
Labourer

ADVICE FOR CONSUMER UNIT IN SHED,PLEASE

by BOXMAN32 » Thu Feb 12, 2009 10:09 am

What I am intending to do is…
:?: Take plug socket from wall and wire up 2.5mm swa cable to it.(socket is a double that always has two plugs pluged in to it).then run swa cable 12 meters to shed and wire it to isolation switch.isolation switch is wired to consumer unit. I have wired a 3kw water heater and a 300watt water pump to a 32amp mcb,(protected)in consumer unit.also a 300 watt air blower to 6 amp mcb in unit,these are rccb (rcd)proteted.i also want to wire up 4 double plug sockets,(on a loop/OR SPUR),coming from and going back to consumer unit into a 6amp or 32 amp mcb(not protected).the only thing that will ever be pluged into sockets is 12v transformers for garden lighting.IS IT OK TO DO THIS?
:?: thanks for reading.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Feb 12, 2009 2:54 pm

"IS IT OK TO DO THIS?"

No! I'm afraid I not convinced you are qualified to do this work (which is notifiable under Part P of building regulations) for the following reasons.

1. If you were qualified to self certify you would not even be considering wiring swa into the back of an existing socket as it should be a new circuit at the consumer unit.

2. 2.5mm SWA is probably no way big enough for the loading you are considering.

3. An RCD is not the same thing as an RCCB.

With all due respect you need an electrician.

Cheers

BOXMAN32
Labourer
Labourer

THANKS

by BOXMAN32 » Sun Feb 15, 2009 5:00 pm

THANK YOU ALL FOR INFO/COMMENTS.i have now stoped work and have had an electrician round,am waiting for a price. :shock:

Duckthatcow
Labourer
Labourer

by Duckthatcow » Mon Feb 16, 2009 1:09 pm

Hi, I'm a bit confused after reading this, as I was considering a similar option and thought I'd read elsewhere on the site that you could add a spur to a ring main to provide the power. I have a standalone small shed (3m from house) within which I'm intending to put a small fridge and a couple of sockets for plugging in the mower/power drill. I intended to put in a Consumer Unit in the shed with RCD and fuses for the sockets and lighting.

How should I get the power to the shed?

Thanks in advance.

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Mon Feb 16, 2009 5:36 pm

This type of work should be done by a qualified electrician that is ideally a member of the competant persons scheme, this means thier work should be in compliance to that of document p of the building regulations or be notified to your local building controls officer.
Lots of things to be considered and safety is paramount.
KB

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Thu Feb 19, 2009 9:57 pm

Whether its 3m or 30m it's notifiable work.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Fri Feb 20, 2009 8:18 pm

rosebery,
Any chance you could clarify a couple of points:
You said "should be a new circuit at the consumer unit". Could you point me to where in the 17th this is specified. Why should a shed circuit not be supplied from a ring main via a combined RCD/fused spur (assuming not more than 13A total load is needed).
You said "An RCD is not the same thing as an RCCB." Could you explain the difference. When what we now call RCDs were first introduced they were called RCCBs, is there now a distinction between the two.
Thanks for your help.
end

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Feb 22, 2009 2:45 pm

SB

My reply was specific to his question rather than general but anyway:

1. Segregation of circuits IMHO.

2. Correct discrimination between protection devices in two consumer units?

4. I'd like to see how the OPs proposed loadings can be safely be accommodated using a single 13A fused spur.

RCD is only a generic term. An RCCB doesn't have overcurrent protection whereas an RCBO does. I could (should) have phrased my answer better.

HTH.

Cheers

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 2:12 am