advice from steve the gas and htg eng
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
temps
Apprentice
Apprentice

advice from steve the gas and htg eng

by temps » Fri Nov 21, 2008 5:28 pm

Hi Guys,
Just some advice. Got the Corgi inspector coming soon as i've applied for my corgi card. Any tips apart from a cuppa and a nice box of marks & spencer biscuits.
Thanks lads

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Sat Nov 22, 2008 1:48 am

Hi mate,

THe only tip I can give you is...

Know the corgi book, they will ask several questions from each section and expect you to deliver more than just a one word answer. My meeting went deep into thermal inversion... yes I hear you say... thermal what. Good job I have a science degree and a physics a-level behind me.

Biscuits soften the blow, but he will still ask you the questions regardless.

another tip:

make sure you know that the temporary continuity bond is for reducing the likelihood of sparks and not just for protection against electrocution...

I was sweating it but it was really relaxed. THe corgi inspector has a bad reputation, he;s a nice guy, just make sure you supply the relevant tea/coffee/biscuit/knowledge combo and you'll be fine!

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sat Nov 22, 2008 6:42 am

Hi Temps,

Firstly good luck.
Also swat up on the most relevant regs, e.g. unsafe situations,make sure you check fluing,ventilation(if req) and flame pic.Working press should roll off your tongue. Appliances,distances etc.

If you don't know - say so- don't blag him.

Hth

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Sat Nov 22, 2008 3:49 pm

You don't need to know the CORGI book inside out. They don't expect you to know everything, if you don't know - as steve the gas says - say so and refer to the relevant CORGI book/literature, that's what it's there for.

They will expect you to know the basics- tightness tests, let-by, stabilisation, temporary continuity, ventilation requirements, flue flow and spillage tests, ID AR and NCS categories etc etc.

Remember you always refer to manfacturers instructions when working on and installing appliances.

htg

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1