Advice needed balancing shelf to plasterboard / foam wall
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

diynovice69
Labourer
Labourer

Advice needed balancing shelf to plasterboard / foam wall

by diynovice69 » Fri Jun 08, 2018 7:13 pm

I am in the middle of building a wine rack in between my kitchen cupboard and the wall. As the wall was really uneven I added a sheet of plasterboard and filed the gap between the plasterboard and the wall with Soudal expanding foam - this way the space for the shelves was all the same width so I could cut all the shelves for the wine rack evenly.

The shelves are 10.5 cm wide from cupboard to wall and are supported at the back of the rack but I am not sure how to support them at the front. There is no room for manoeuvre to get a screwdriver or a a drill and ideally I don't want any fixings showing. I would also prefer to be able to remove the shelves easily if needed. The only solution I can think of is to drill some holes in the cupboard and thread some really long screws / fixings through the holes and whack these into the plasterboard / foam, then just rest the front of the shelves on top of the fixings. Is this viable and if so what sort of screw / fixings would I need ? Any advice much appreciated, thanks.
Attachments
This shows my intended solution but with a fixing that is (a) the wrong type and (b) not long enough but hopefully you get the idea.
This shows my intended solution but with a fixing that is (a) the wrong type and (b) not long enough but hopefully you get the idea.
winerack-1.jpg (29.39 KiB) Viewed 1773 times

It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 4:30 am