Advice needed for moving shower tray after bathroom refurb
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1

Who is to blame for my bathroom disaster?

The builder (who did the sub-floor repairs)
No votes
The plumber (who put in the unstable shower tray)
No votes
The tiler (who has left no expansion gap between floor tiles & shower tray)
No votes

Total votes: 0
Sunbeam77
Labourer
Labourer

Advice needed for moving shower tray after bathroom refurb

by Sunbeam77 » Thu Dec 03, 2020 12:41 pm

Hoping someone can help. I am in despair having discoverd I might have to pull out newly installed bathroom fittings and a floor, as the newly installed shower tray is unstable and moving and tiled ensuite floor is creaking. I've been playing detective to try and find out (in reverse order of works) which of the following is to blame:
1. The tiler - seemed to do a good job of laying the Fired Earth porcelain tiles but I noticed he has tiled right up to the stone resin shower tray, with no expansion gap at all.
2. The plumber – careless in ways too numerous to mention (and has since been replaced) but I do remember that he cemented the shower tray in, which is, I gather, the correct procedure.
3. The builder – paid thousands of pounds to repair/replace the rotten joists below the bathroom floor and lay chipboard, ready for the tiler who laid down hardibacker once the shower tray was in.

The builder swears blind that it is not his fault and blamed it on the tiler for failing to leave an expansion gap. But it can't be the tiler's fault that the shower tray is moving, can it?

Any help/feedback/advice on how to move forward with this – ideally that doesn't involve ripping an entire Fired Earth tiled floor up.

Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice needed for moving shower tray after bathroom refurb

by stoneyboy » Fri Dec 04, 2020 10:36 pm

Hi sunbeam77
If you had one main contractor (ie you paid just one firm) you should approach them for resolution.
Otherwise investigation will be needed to determine whether: the new floor is stable; the tray was bedded correctly; the Hardiebacker board was laid and fixed in accordance with the manufacturers instructions; plus all the other possibilities you have mentioned.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 12:03 pm