Advice needed for over head storage fixings
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
RandomTaskDave
Labourer
Labourer

Advice needed for over head storage fixings

Post by RandomTaskDave » Thu May 20, 2021 11:53 am

I’m looking for advice on some over head storage I’m building, regarding the right type of screws and raw plugs to use on the wall please.

The wall has 70mm thick plasterboard on it, with a 20mm cavity with breeze blocks behind it. From measuring the other side of the wall and door frame, they’re either 100mm or 140mm thick blocks. What I was intending on doing was fixing some 45mm square batons along the wall for support, but I was unsure what type of raw plugs and screws to use.

My plan (due to me only having a long drill bit of 10mm thick to hand) was to drill a hole all the way through to and into the breeze block. So based on some maths I needed to drill in 160mm, then I’d need screws that are approx 200mm long and I was going to push a 70mm m10 raw plug into the hole, past the plaster, into the breeze blocks by 70mm. Then tighten the screws into the 45mm baton, through the plaster and into the 70mm raw plug in the breeze block. Hopefully that makes sense.

See picture of inspection hole I drilled out.

Not sure if that’s the right way, unless anyone can come up with a better suggestion?

Any advice is greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance,
David
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 1:26 am