Advice Needed on Converting Integrated Single garage into Usable Room
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
roryfirth
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on Converting Integrated Single garage into Usable Room

Post by roryfirth » Fri Mar 06, 2015 2:54 pm

Hello all.

I'm converting my integrated single garage into a usable room over the next few months and am looking for some advice.

I have applied for building control and have a builder bricking up the old garage door and fitting a new window. Part of the garage sticks out from the main building so he is also going to insulate and re-felt the external roof, which I believe will keep the council happy.

I need to raise the floor by 165mm

I am planning to fix joists around the inside of the wall using thunderbolts in every other brick (the room is 12.5sqm) and use joist hangers to attach 47x95mm joists across the garage. The garage is roughly 2.5m wide. I will then use 100mm Celotex boards between the joists, plywood, underfloor heating mat, laminate floor. I've checked with the council and the tiny gap (30mm) under the insulation will be acceptable.

I will do the walls. They are all double brick cavity walls with a 2' gap between the bricks. The council have said 50mm insulation will be fine, so I'm planning on using batten with rockwool inbetween, plasterboard on top.

Finally As the ceiling of the garage will be either insulated on the outside or under a bedroom, I don't think I need to insulate the ceiling so was planning on batten and plasterboard

Obviously there will be services work throughout the process. The additional electrical sockets and lights first fix will be done before anything else.

Have I missed anything obvious?

Thanks
Rory

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice Needed on Converting Integrated Single garage into Usable Room

Post by welsh brickie » Sat Mar 07, 2015 4:28 pm

you will need airbricks in the walls to ventilate the timber floor, keep the insulation from the base of the timber so that air can circulate. 50mm fibreglass will not be enough insulation for the walls, you will need to use foilback hardboard insulation.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 04, 2024 4:18 am