Advice Needed on Insulation for External Building Project
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tornado1979
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on Insulation for External Building Project

Post by Tornado1979 » Mon Nov 09, 2015 9:15 pm

HI,

This is my first post so please be gentle :-)

I've got zero experience but would like some advice from you all + the option available to me.

I'm looking at building a small external building (or should I say getting brother in law to build) in my garden which will be used for my hobby and some storage space, I'll be spending some time in the building so it's essential it's insulated + secure due to valuable items being stored also.

The building will be 8ft wide 24ft length, 7ft height.

I want something solid and I've been thinking about concrete blocks externally and some sort of insulation for the walls and floor ??

What would you all recommend ?

My initial idea was to insulate and then plaster board and skim, a friend then suggested using insulated breeze internally then just skim them which sound like it would be more of a solid unit and less work :-)

I've also placed a pipe under new base with armoured cable / sky cable and some internet cable just in-case it's needed in the future.

Thanks in advance :-)

thedoctor

Re: Advice Needed on Insulation for External Building Project

Post by thedoctor » Tue Dec 22, 2015 3:21 pm

Blocks, rendered on the outside then internally 50mm plasterboard backed with Insulation is the quickest and cheapest way of achieving what you would like. Insulated blocks are great but really expensive

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

Post by michaelbailey » Thu May 12, 2016 5:55 pm

don't forget to keep the overall height to mx 2.4 metres you can get extra height by putting the slab lower . blocks are ok but inherently cold so that means some form of heating think about100x50mm timber frame with insulation and vinyl coated ply .have you ever stayed in a caravan how easy it is to get warm don't forget to put in something like aco drains to the perimeter of the slab flat timber roof osb with 'torchon' felt cladding to th outside is your choice try 'WPC' also think about services run a 100mm pvc pipe in you never know

michaelbailey
Ganger
Ganger

Post by michaelbailey » Fri May 13, 2016 1:38 pm

I've got some time on my hands i'll knock up a drawing with quantities and post when done

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 06, 2024 6:42 am