Advice needed on repairing roof verges
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
leicesterfan
Labourer
Labourer

Advice needed on repairing roof verges

Post by leicesterfan » Tue Jun 07, 2022 5:18 pm

Hi,

Looking for a bit of advice on getting my roof repaired. 1950s extended semi.

Excuse any incorrectly terminology but as you can see from the photos, mortar is cracked/missing in places on my verges and mortar is cracked/missing in places on the tile undercloak. I'm not sure why there is so much depth to the undercloak and overhang of the tiles. As it looks like most houses of my street have the mortar and tiles sat directly on top of the brickwork? Anyway, I've had 3 quotes for repairing this.

1. £350 - installation of dry verge (doesn't think he needs scaffolding) - well rated roofer on checkatrade but can find no other details about him
2. £1900 - installation of dry verge (with scaffolding) and thinks he needs to cut tiles back first as there is a big overhang - a home improvement firm that a friend of a friend knows
3. £2200 - install of dry verge - very well rated roofer on checkatrade - has quoted purely on photos!

Incredible difference in the prices above - The £350 seems ridiculously cheap, the other two seem expensive. I know checkatrade and the like are not often recommended for finding reputable tradespeople but struggling to find any good recommendations from friends/family - I'll have a local firm mentioned but then a quick Google will chuck up loads of bad reviews.

Any thoughts welcome.

Thanks
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice needed on repairing roof verges

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Jun 08, 2022 10:04 pm

Hi leicesterfan,
Not sure about the advisability of retro fitting a dry verge. Depends on the type chosen but the battens may have to be extended. Yes your 350 quote without scaffolding should be avoided. The others are almost certain to go up as work progresses.
Suggest you have the mortar/loose mortar/replaced/repaired as necessary, forget a dry verge.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:36 pm