Advice Needed on yet another decking question!
Ask questions and find answers on all your decking problems and issues

huntol01
Labourer
Labourer

Advice Needed on yet another decking question!

by huntol01 » Sun Apr 19, 2020 12:34 am

New to this forum so please go easy. Looking for advise on a decking project. Am an electrical engineer by trade so have half a brain cell which should help but never done decking before.
So the area to be decked is 4M wide by 4.9M lenght. Width across part of the house which will be set off the house by 40mm. The missus wants the boards to run the lenght of projection as she prefers full lenght boards and will not have much wastage. Also want the deck to sit level will door sill so not much of a drop (hence 40mm off set as this will give me a 5mm gap between deck and sill). This is approx 170mm from ground level. Was thinking of deck frame & joists in treated C24 4x2. 25 Joist @span 4meters @ 245mm centres. 6 noggins per joist @650mm centres.
20x 4x4 joist posts set in concrete 300mm into ground. Posts to be set approx every 1000mm ( 4 posts across the width & 5 rows down the lenght).
Frame to be raised approx 50mm off ground level. 21mm solid capped composite boards to be used.
Does this sound like it should be anywhere near or should I hit myself round the back of the head with a piece of wood to knock some sense in there!

It is currently Tue Mar 26, 2024 2:23 pm