advice needed
General problems, solutions, information and advice on fixing to walls of all kinds

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
DIY Lee
Labourer
Labourer

advice needed

by DIY Lee » Sat Sep 20, 2008 4:54 pm

Hi all

Ive got the builders in to fit/renovate & completely tile the complete bathroom,
its a two man band/company which are sub contracted from where we purchased our suite from.
Now everything seemed fine untill yesterday when I had an argument with the foreman?about the state of the walls.
Our bathroom walls are rough & uneven especially where I had a solid dividing wall taken out, so I was told it would be plastered as & where required and I also mentioned that some areas will need browning, all seemed satisfactory.
But yesterday he told me the walls were ready for tiling & I don't think they are cos all hes done is patched the walls with the browning its all sunk & cracked its a mess, in my apinion it all needs skimming,but noticing he has ordered 30 litres of tile adhesive where 12 litres will do.that tells me another story 'BODGE IT!!
Hes also boarded & plastered the ceiling but put only 1 coat of plaster on as I can see the board joins.
My Dad knows a plasterer which he told me he would not tile untill the walls are straight/smooth skimmed.;
I use to work in the car body repair trade & I always had it drilled in to me that its all in the preparation that determins the overall finish.

Any advice would be most gratefull
Thanks
DIY lee

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Sun Sep 21, 2008 6:56 am

Hi Lee,

We obviously can't see it but you seem bang on!

I would talk to the men again but perhaps a little firmer if you get my drift.
If no joy then talk to the shop where you bought the lot from?

chris_on_tour2002
Project Manager
Project Manager

by chris_on_tour2002 » Sat Sep 27, 2008 12:41 am

can you provided pictures? doesn't necessarily sound disastrous and might be ok, depends on the extent. with regard to the ceiling, only one coat of plaster would usually be applied to plasterboard. if you can see the outline of the jointing tape etc but if feels flat and smooth to the touch it may be ok once painted.

not defending them here necessarily, just giving benefit of doubt when speaking blind! any chance of a picture or two?

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:37 am