Advice on basket type gas fire please
Information, help and advice on many gas related subjects from gas fires to domestic appliances

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mblago
Tradesman
Tradesman

Advice on basket type gas fire please

by mblago » Tue May 13, 2008 7:32 pm

I have a basket type gas fire which was installed by the previous owners of our house. Unfortunatley we have no instructions on it to tell us what Kw etc it is. All I know is that it was made by a company called Fribreflame who were based in Wales but have gone into liquidation back in the Mid 1990's. I have checked all over the fire and can find no other details. A gas engineer has condemed it because we have no air vent in our lounge and no isolation valve fitted. I presume these weren't required when it was fitted in the early/mid 1990's.
Is there type of institution that would keep records on Gas appliances made by companys that have gone bust ?
Thanks in advance.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed May 14, 2008 8:54 pm

You'll need 100cm2 ventilation, and an isolation valve should be easy enough to fit.

Did the engineer not tell you this ? did he offer to fit an isolation valve ?

Get a CORGI engineer to fit an isolation valve, and a bricklayer or you can fit a 100cm2 vent in an external wall.

htg

mblago
Tradesman
Tradesman

by mblago » Wed May 14, 2008 9:41 pm

Thanks for that, the Gas engineer didn,t seem too bothered, don't think he was keen to do the job,
Would it be OK to fit an air vent in the floor as appossed to an outside wall ?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu May 15, 2008 9:34 pm

Ventilation in the floor is not advised anymore as they tend to become covered and the external vents become blocked with leaves etc.

Also vents to the void under your house, can expose you to radioactive Radon gas. You need to check if you live in a Radon affected area.

htg

http://www.bgs.ac.uk/radon/home.html

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:33 am