Advice on Building Shelf for Fish Tank
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Pembers46
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on Building Shelf for Fish Tank

Post by Pembers46 » Sat May 04, 2019 4:48 pm

Hi guys I am planning to build a shelf to support my fish tank. The tank weighs 150kg approx in the room I have a chimney breast so the shelf would go into that space like an arch. I want to attach it to 3 walls and make it out of wood. All 3 walls are solid so I was going to use three 2 x 1 batons to support the shelf. With 2 80mm wall bolts in each. Then use a 1 inch thick piece of hardwood as the shelf. It's measurements are 42 inch by 18. Would this be strong enough to support the tank and what wood should I use thanks for any help.

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Advice on Building Shelf for Fish Tank

Post by Hugh Schkok » Sat May 04, 2019 9:13 pm

159Kg = 331 lbs. A lot of weight. Assuming it the weight of the filled weight then you not only have structural factors but also the integrity of the wall('s) you intend to fix it and whether it is a single wall fixing's or I may suggest a 100x50 PAR softwood timber although a 150x50 PAR would be a better deal. When it if fixed horizontally three vertical supports are fixed from the horizontal support to the floor base plate of the same dimensions. If the vertical supports are also required at the face of the tank then you could easily utilise the space as a cupboard to store your tank equipment like cleaning kit, aerators etc and fix on some doors for access. It maybe wise to install diagonal supports from upper front to rear base plates so as to direct the loadings to a stronger wall plate already fixed horizontally.
I've done a few calcs and I get the downward load per contact point is around 36 kg's per point and an overall base loading of 25kg I haven't run the data and my very small, inert brain has calculated it but either way I get it within a couple of Kgs either way of my load model. Ensure it is not accessible for kids to grab to peep in or your Princess if she is loaded and grabs the tank on her way to the floor.

A lot of factors to consider however if when you've finished you see a project that will withstand a direct hit in a nuclear exchange. Also fix a strong lip so the tank sits comfortably in it Smile and pat yourself on the back. A 150Kg load if it falls on some unsuspecting human will undoubtedly kill them and the water alone will fill most living rooms to a depth of 25mm and of course the cost of the fish and stuff will also be lost all for a 'pennenth of tar'

Good luck and let me know how you get on

Hugh

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Sometimewoodworker » Sat May 04, 2019 11:24 pm

Pembers46 wrote:Hi guys I am planning to build a shelf to support my fish tank. The tank weighs 150kg approx in the room I have a chimney breast so the shelf would go into that space like an arch. I want to attach it to 3 walls and make it out of wood. All 3 walls are solid so I was going to use three 2 x 1 batons to support the shelf. With 2 80mm wall bolts in each. Then use a 1 inch thick piece of hardwood as the shelf. It's measurements are 42 inch by 18. Would this be strong enough to support the tank and what wood should I use thanks for any help.

You don't give dimension for the tank so it's a little difficult to say if the number of wall bolts are enough but in principle it sounds perfectly OK

As to the wood as long as you use a reasonably strong hardwood that looks good, though not balsa wood as though strong for its weight it is not a good choice for your shelf, any one will be OK. For the batons again almost any wood should be no problem.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Post by collectors » Sun May 05, 2019 8:44 am

With that sort of weight i personally would only build off the floor, and this is assuming its concrete. If its wood? i would check the brick joist supports are in good condition. My tank is around 200kg & i built a corner cupboard made out of 5 4x3 treated timber uprights with a 18mm ply top covered in soft lino flooring.
[img]https://i.postimg.cc/0y4dwfsr/DSCF5056.jpg[/img]

Pembers46
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Pembers46 » Sun May 05, 2019 9:03 pm

Thanks for the replies the floor is concrete so I will build up from the floor to be on the safe side.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 09, 2024 9:10 am