Advice on concrete block house and incorrect dpc
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bri44
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on concrete block house and incorrect dpc

by Bri44 » Mon Oct 05, 2020 11:14 pm

Hi all.
My house is a cavity wall concrete block construction and rendered. The house is 7 years old.
Cracks appeared that have been caused by incorrect expansion joints and a DPC installed halfway up the house.
A structural engineer advised the DPC needs removing and the expansion joints corrected.

All the render has been removed by the developer.
It was tough to come off.

Looking at the blockwork it has many vertical bed joints that are 40mm wide, some gaps that have a stuffed part block in are 50mm wide. The mortar is weak. I can rub it out with my finger.
The render removal has pulled lots of mortar out leaving holes. Looking in the holes the mortar on goes back an inch or so with no mortar any further back.

I also have what appears to be another DPC sitting on a sandstone ledge that goes around the house. It goes right through and then up the inside of the block. The first picture shows this. Second image shows the mortar joint only going back an inch or so and third image shows a section of blockwork

Should I be concerned about this mortar and the size of the joints?

I don`t want it rendered over if it's not correct.

Thanks
Attachments
IMG_1710.jpg
IMG_1710.jpg (43.27 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
IMG_1758.jpg
IMG_1758.jpg (38.92 KiB) Viewed 1974 times
IMG_1769.jpg
IMG_1769.jpg (34.74 KiB) Viewed 1974 times

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice on concrete block house and incorrect dpc

by stoneyboy » Tue Oct 06, 2020 11:56 pm

Hi bri44
Presumably the surveyor saw the house before the render was removed. If so you need to get him back pronto!
Regards S

Bri44
Labourer
Labourer

by Bri44 » Wed Oct 07, 2020 12:34 am

Yes he saw it before the render was removed. I’ve requested he come back.

What are your thoughts in the mortar joints and the other DPC that is attached to the inner blocks and reaches over and under the outer block wall creating a sealed barrier in the cavity?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Wed Oct 07, 2020 9:35 pm

Hi bri44
Don't know whether you are in an area that would know the term 'bodge job' but that is what it is. It doesn't take much in the way of skill or tools to cut a concrete block so the wide perps are difficult to explain.
The presence of a DPC half way up the wall would suggest the top half of your house was going to be tile hung or clad. You will have to get your surveyor to explain why it needs removing.
Regards S

Bri44
Labourer
Labourer

by Bri44 » Tue Nov 03, 2020 8:27 am

I`m waiting on the surveyors' second report with render off. Here are a couple more images of bad blockwork plus what do you make of this as a repair/weather proofing of damaged blocks?
Attachments
block repair.jpg
2.jpg
blockwork no mortar wonky.jpg
2.jpg

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Tue Nov 03, 2020 5:53 pm

Hi bri44
There appears to be a lot of basic structural issues which will not be corrected by a re-render.
It will be interesting to see what the surveyors report says.
Regards S

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 10:10 am