Advice on Making a Bespoke Light String
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
David.Stanton
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on Making a Bespoke Light String

by David.Stanton » Fri Oct 05, 2018 7:42 pm

Looking for advice please. I want to make a plug in light string consisting of 4 x 5W LED candle bulbs in holders along a wire of approx 8-10 metres. I'm planning to connect each build holder in turn along the wire length. Is it as simple as that? In addition, what size cable should I use and what size fuze should I use in the plug?

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

Re: Advice on Making a Bespoke Light String

by collectors » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:17 am

If your not sure on this, you may be safer using a 30watt x 12 volt LED driver then some lamp holders for your 12volt 5watt lamps. You could then use some 0.5 twin flat flex between the driver & lamp holders. Will be a bit safer as well.

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Sat Oct 06, 2018 10:24 am

Ah! you can't edit a post on this forum. The other alternative is this link & also have a look at the led lamps lower down the page.
https://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/DT641.html

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Oct 06, 2018 6:47 pm

David.Stanton wrote:Looking for advice please. I want to make a plug in light string consisting of 4 x 5W LED candle bulbs in holders along a wire of approx 8-10 metres. I'm planning to connect each build holder in turn along the wire length. Is it as simple as that? In addition, what size cable should I use and what size fuze should I use in the plug?

Where is this "light string" to be used? who is it for (neighbours, friend, you?)

David.Stanton
Labourer
Labourer

by David.Stanton » Sat Oct 06, 2018 11:20 pm

Thanks Mr White for your response and the link which will be especially useful when I look at a new outdoors project. The string that I refer to is to be used indoors in my kitchen for parties mainly

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:49 am

4 candle lamps on a "string" is easy to construct. I would suggest you use pendant lamp holders and 0.75mm 2 core flex.
I would also suggest a 3 Amp fuse is used in the plug.

On a personal note, as its for a "party" I would not have 4 mains lamps on a "string" reason being they will by their nature hang low, look like a building site (Building sites use similar to what you propose, but much longer, for the lighting in first fix) and all would be white. I would opt for some ready made coloured lights or even a "disco" light. You could even consider several sets of battery operated coloured LED "Christmas lights"

6 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:14 pm