DIY Doctor

Advice on making fireplace base/flooring look half-decent

Postby mike_diy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:55 pm

I am after a low cost solution to get my fireplace area looking “presentable”.

It’s not actually a working fireplace, and it will never be a working fireplace. It just needs to look half-decent.

I was in IKEA recently and I saw a piece of material (not for sale but for a display section) which might be similar to what I am after. See in photo under the blocks of wood. I don’t know what it was.

I need something like this but I’m not sure what the material is or where to get something like this or what I should even Google to find something like this. It’s basically a large sheet of coated MDF or maybe it’s just plastic made to look like stone/marble.

Every search online I try returns results for supporting working fireplaces and very costly. This isn’t a fireplace... it’s just a hole in the chimney where a fireplace used to be. I don’t even know what the official term for that is.

I’ve also uploaded the photo of my fireplace at the moment.

Looking for some general advice. Cheers.
Attachments
0BBF742C-AF77-4371-9AA3-D563B330A23E.jpeg
Photo of my fireplace
53A4B21E-31B1-4E01-B6CF-BF6F81C7EF1E.jpeg
Photo taken in IKEA
mike_diy
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi mike_diy
Possibly the easiest solution would be to use kitchen worktop. If you can find a local supplier of worktops they may have a suitable offcut.
The next priciest option is to search for marble slabs on the internet.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!