Advice on making fireplace base/flooring look half-decent
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
mike_diy
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on making fireplace base/flooring look half-decent

by mike_diy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 2:55 pm

I am after a low cost solution to get my fireplace area looking “presentable”.

It’s not actually a working fireplace, and it will never be a working fireplace. It just needs to look half-decent.

I was in IKEA recently and I saw a piece of material (not for sale but for a display section) which might be similar to what I am after. See in photo under the blocks of wood. I don’t know what it was.

I need something like this but I’m not sure what the material is or where to get something like this or what I should even Google to find something like this. It’s basically a large sheet of coated MDF or maybe it’s just plastic made to look like stone/marble.

Every search online I try returns results for supporting working fireplaces and very costly. This isn’t a fireplace... it’s just a hole in the chimney where a fireplace used to be. I don’t even know what the official term for that is.

I’ve also uploaded the photo of my fireplace at the moment.

Looking for some general advice. Cheers.
Attachments
Photo of my fireplace
Photo of my fireplace
Photo taken in IKEA
Photo taken in IKEA

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Advice on making fireplace base/flooring look half-decent

by stoneyboy » Sun Dec 27, 2020 11:10 pm

Hi mike_diy
Possibly the easiest solution would be to use kitchen worktop. If you can find a local supplier of worktops they may have a suitable offcut.
The next priciest option is to search for marble slabs on the internet.
Regards S

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:20 am