DIY Doctor

Advice on Replacing G4 Lights Under Kitchen Units With LED's

Postby Phartypants » Wed Apr 27, 2016 9:07 pm

Hi all, I have six of those triangular G4 lightfittings under my kitchen wallunits which keep blowing. I want to replace with LED units. There are two 240v - 12v transformers on top of the wallunits which feeds 3 of the lightfittings each.

Question 1. Are there any recommended cabinet LED lightfittings and is 5w enough(or too much)?
Question 2. I presume I need to replace the transformers with LED drivers but will a new driver feed 3 LED fittings?

Many thanks in advance!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Apr 27, 2016 8:56 pm


Simply Build It

Postby ericmark » Thu Apr 28, 2016 9:43 am

Most of the advantage in extra low voltage goes when moving to LED. In the main better to use low voltage (230 vac) and do away with transformers and drivers all together. Well the driver is built into the bulb.

I use 2W GU10 LED lamps as reading lamps at bed head. They are ample.

If you do go for extra low voltage (12V) then forget the names. Driver should be a current regulating device, but often you find voltage regulated devices are also called driver, so you have to look at the spec.
DC, 12 volt (not 0~12 volt) and 0~ X amp (not 320 mA) so easy to make a mistake.
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 2497
Joined: Fri Oct 02, 2009 8:49 pm
Location: Llanfair Caereinion, Mid Wales.

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics