Advice on SDS Drill and How Much Power Should I be Looking for?
Ask questions and find answers on all aspects of tools including hand & power tools.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
colinuk1
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on SDS Drill and How Much Power Should I be Looking for?

by colinuk1 » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:49 pm

Hi guys, I need to buy an SDS drill specifically for a couple of small projects. 1) Putting shelves up in a concrete walled garage, 2) fitting wooden posts to a masonry sided patio. Checking out the deals at Screwfix, There is one at under 50 quid, which gets decent reviews, but, at 850w - is it powerful enough to do what I want, or do I need the next one up (1500) ? As mentioned, it's specifically for these projects and I wont be neededing it demolition tasks or anything too demanding!

Here's the one in question.Many thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb465drh-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/63303

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Advice on SDS Drill and How Much Power Should I be Looking for?

by Sometimewoodworker » Thu May 03, 2018 7:31 am

colinuk1 wrote:Hi guys, I need to buy an SDS drill specifically for a couple of small projects. 1) Putting shelves up in a concrete walled garage, 2) fitting wooden posts to a masonry sided patio. Checking out the deals at Screwfix, There is one at under 50 quid, which gets decent reviews, but, at 850w - is it powerful enough to do what I want, or do I need the next one up (1500) ? As mentioned, it's specifically for these projects and I wont be neededing it demolition tasks or anything too demanding!

Here's the one in question.Many thanks in advance for any help.

https://www.screwfix.com/p/energer-enb465drh-corded-sds-plus-drill-230-240v/63303

Yes and if it breaks you have 1 year guarantee anyway

Hugh Schkok
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Hugh Schkok » Mon Apr 22, 2019 8:13 pm

At this particular juncture I would like to thank all of you that were asleep when the power max site tool voltage allowance was set. Hire shops were left with cart fulls of 240v power tools waiting in-line for me and any other that were awake.
The game plan would not permit any corded 240v tools on the site across the country and so I stooped in from the heavens and picked up a Hilti SDS hammer, demolition and nuclear powered drill plus a hand full of bits. The cost was an earth shattering £20, The drill can blast it's way through every material ever created and reinforced concrete it enjoys as a side salad. if it hits reinforcing it squeaks and I am sure If you continue on it will cut through it.

The significant difference between a regular bit and a SDS bit is a regular bit if it sticks and winds away the shaft. So the bit stops and the drill continues on. After a couple of attempts the bit is usually finished. .However a SDS (Slotted Drill Shaft is one size no matter what the diameter off the cutting bit is> I have used a bit 1.9 metre long x 0.75mm diameter and the SDS is the same as iit is for a 3mm bit. where as a regular chuck varies and you may need several chucks in you daqily toil. The SDS is so different that if the bit gets snagged the uinforcedris rotated ariund at the same speed as thee chuck is turning.

I use my strictly in my Man Cave and at my home an so don't need to comply to Jack do have a MCB box so that if it get stuck the load requirement increases and pops the MCB.

I found another drill made by Ferm ( I've been told it's a Screw fix product from WunHungLo's bargain basement in qung choo province China but hey I don't care if it came from WunHungo's wife's pants.I must say was quite impressed with it. It has a hammer and no vibratory switch, A SDS chuck which when I cleaned it up is till working today. I don't know how much they cost as I think one of my guys left it behind when he emigrated. Perhaps look on Woolsttaion or Screwfix and of course please don't forget eBay. Perfix thesearch with 'Used' It may amaze you in what you can find and better if it's an auction. Where you are compelled to offer stated price - at least 20%. Of course free delivery is a must.

I hope this helps. Let me know how you get on and when I work out how the 'read replies' works

collectors
Foreman
Foreman

by collectors » Tue Apr 23, 2019 2:50 pm

The power/wattage is irrelevant & a very flimsy guide. I used to have a few early Wickes drills that were made by by a well-known company that i cant remember the name of now. But if we was drilling through walls with brick ties in & using a 12mmx 600mm bit, god help you if the drill caught on one ties. Twice i have had the drill ripped out of my hands as slipping clutches wasn't so common back then. Now this was down to how many windings there was on the motor. These had 5 & gave a lot more torque, whereas a black & decker would have fewer windings. With a black & decker at 850watt with the same drill bit, i could hold with nearly one hand if it was to catch. The wickes would want to break your wrist. Look at what toque the drill has, & if it high, get one wqith a clutch.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:48 pm