Advice on siting and choosing new boiler
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Diseasel
Labourer
Labourer

Advice on siting and choosing new boiler

by Diseasel » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:57 am

Newbie here and I have looked through many of the posts concerning what I need to do, but I am confused about the type of boiler and a suitable position for it. I live in a long thin house which was originally two semi detached cottages about 16' wide by about 60' long but it has been extended into an L shape with a 30' x 15' lounge with 3 bedrooms above. There are 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms and 9 other rooms with radiators, 15 in all. I need to add 1 radiator because 1 bedroom has been altered. The current boiler is an Ariston Micro Genus situated at the very end of the house away from the lounge. The heating is poor in the lounge but good in the two bedrooms above it. It takes forever to get hot water in either bathroom although it can be scalding hot in the kitchen. The boiler cuts out and has to be reset if I run a shower or if I turn the hot bath tap on to run at a normal rate. If you let it dribble it will run hot but takes 3/4 hour to fill a bath. I'm concerned about the amount of water I waste waiting for hot water to reach the bathrooms. I think I need to replace the boiler with a better option but I'm unsure what type will suit and whether I could or should resite it. There are also variations in the pipe diameter used, is there a recommended size to run a certain distance?

plumbers1
Tradesman
Tradesman

System

by plumbers1 » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:09 am

Best system would be Unvented cylinder for hot water, this supplies pressurised water on hot side and cod side to all taps. Best central heating system would be a pressurised sealed system between about 25/30kw this would be more than enough. As for location where you like but as the name suggests 'CENTRAL' heating speaks for itself.

Cylinder make Megaflo 210ltr or more if space available. Boiler make Worcester-Bosch system boiler.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Sat Jun 30, 2007 3:35 am

I would suggest that in the meantime you strangle the radiators that get hot readily, by nipping the IRValves as much as you can without chilling the rooms, and that should let a larger flow-rate go to more remote parts of your home.

DONFRAMAC
Ganger
Ganger

by DONFRAMAC » Wed Jul 04, 2007 11:42 pm

The tripping-out of your boiler when using the shower suggests under-sized pipes are restricting the flow-rate, causing an over-temp.trip. An increase in size to 22 or 28 mm, to your water outlets, might overcome the trip problems.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1