DIY Doctor

advice re radiator parts

Postby jb1468 » Tue Mar 18, 2008 8:03 am

Hi folks, first post and new to plumbing so please bear with me. i am in process of renovating an old home i bought (all i could afford :)). I will be getting a plumber in to do some stuff but i want to buy materials myself so i wish to check 2 areas.

1) I am completely refitting bathroom. i need to replace radiator in there as it is in bad shape. i want to fit a towel warmer/radiator. not so concerned about the heat output as it is a small room and always warm. i have seen one on offer from scewfix direct (link below) and wonder if the TRV pack that comes with it will fit ok to pipes coming out from the floor. i have seen it somewhere else but the TRV pack was connected to pipes coming from the wall. excuse my stupidity if i have missed something but im not sure if this pack will work with pipes coming from floor. thanks. ... 071&m=1228

2) the rest of my radiators are reasonable and apart from painting them i wish to replace the radiator valves on both ends as mine are horrible looking. i would like to put TRV on each of them (7 in total). again with each pipes are coming from the floor. am i correct in sayin that i need Angled Thermostatic Radiator Valves as opposed to straight and lockshield valves for other end. (all pipes 15mm so ok there). i am confused by the following lockshield valve as it says 15mm x 1/2 inch.........wat is the 1/2 inch part is this till ok for mine if used with a 15mm angles TRV ... 071&m=1228

appreciate your help and hope u are considerate of my lack of knowledge on plumbing. :?: :?: :?: :?:
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 11
Joined: Tue Mar 18, 2008 7:46 am


Simply Build It

Postby Suprastone » Tue Mar 18, 2008 10:01 pm

re towel rail

The valves pictured are angled which allows the pipe to run at 90* to the towel rail, by the sounds of it you need straight valves this allows for the pipes to run straight from floor into valve than into towel rail.

90* angled rad valves are more for normal radiators or for towel rails where the pipes come out from the wall underneathe rail connection. the pipes coming.

re rads

1/2 inch refers to the barrel that fits inside the rad . Most older rads have 3/4 inch nuts connecting to the radiator valve. So you have two choices.

Find out which size yours are by offering up a half inch barrel to those on your existing valves, if they are the same size simply replace valves.

Or if new 1/2 inch barrel has a slightly smaller nut than existing(3/4 inch) you will have to remove barrels with large allen key, ptfe tape new 1/2 barrels and screw into rad than tighten valve on to pipe.

Hope that isnot too confusing.
Rank: Apprentice
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 10
Joined: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:45 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics