Advice req. - Demolish 1 outer wall of a double garage?
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
minty
Labourer
Labourer

Advice req. - Demolish 1 outer wall of a double garage?

by minty » Mon Mar 17, 2008 12:56 pm

Hello

I've done a search on this forum and found people who have successfully removed the centre wall from a double garage to fit double doors however I am planning on doing something slightly different.

I share a detached double garage with my neigbour, one half is my property as per the deeds and the other half is his property.

The garage is located in front of our house at a 90 degree angle.

It would benefit us if we could remove our half of the garage so that me and my wife can park alongside each other to avoid problems with us blocking each other in.

The garage roof is a flat felt roof (although the actual felt blew off in last week's gales so is currently non-existant)

Supporting the felt are wooden lintels (These are separate lintels for each half of the garage and only overlap at the point of the central wall which will remain)

I would like to remove all but one of the wooden lintels in our half of the garage and then cut and demolish the majority our outer wall. (You will see in the image that I have left one lintel in place in case this helps to strengthen the garage.

Before I go down the route of contacting the council / builders about building regulations and party wall agreement can any of you give me advice on whether this is possible as per my plans and more importantly what might be needed that I haven't included that would make it possible if it's not possible?

Current layout -
[img]http://www.smintroadster.co.uk/Misc/garagecurrent.PNG[/img]

Planned layout -
[img]http://www.smintroadster.co.uk/Misc/garageplan.PNG[/img]

Thanks in advance

Phil

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:42 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:16 pm