Advice required please on garage conversion
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
hattersfan
Labourer
Labourer

Advice required please on garage conversion

Post by hattersfan » Mon May 11, 2009 2:32 pm

I am hoping someone can give me some useful advice. I live in a linked detached house and the neighbour's garage is attached to my lounge, I hope you get my drift and I believe this is the what is called 'the party wall'. Anyway the neighbours are converting their garage into a kitchen extension/utility room and since last September 2008, I have had to put up with their drilling, banging, sawing etc. I appreciate people have to do this work but they seem to do most of the work on a Sunday afternoon. My husband had a word with them and asked the neighbour to let us know when he was going to be banging etc. Well he did more work this Sunday afternoon but gave us no notice.

I understand under the Party Wall Act we should have been given notice that this work was going to be carried out. I have no idea if they have the correct building regulations or whether the converted garage has been sound or fire proofed.

Has anybody got any suggestions on what we could do? You advice would be appreciated.

Thank you

bd3cc
Foreman
Foreman

Post by bd3cc » Mon May 11, 2009 9:18 pm

If they are converting a garage to living accomodation, they need building regs at the very least, although I am not sure how the Party Wall Act affects this.
I would speak to Building control at your local council. If you go onto your local council website, find Building control, you should be able to find the name and direct line of the officer who covers your area. They are usually there 9.00-10-30,and 1600-1700. Outside these hours they are on sites.
They are very helpful, and can put you in touch with any other council agencies( noise/environment etc)
HTH

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1