advise htg engineer
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
wayne 78
Tradesman
Tradesman

advise htg engineer

by wayne 78 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 12:13 pm

hello i have read another of your posts advising on flushing a system out i decided to take your advise and last week i added sum sludge remover to my system by draining a rad and pouring it in through the bleed vent at top of the rad i didnt realise i shud have flushed the system out first so will it still help remove the sludge and also when you say flush out the system with hot water by putting heating on then flushing wont that only flush out my upstairs rads as all my downstairs rads are on drop feeds or will it still circulate aronnd the full system sorry if its a stupid question i just want to make sure i do it right thank you

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:07 pm

As long as you got the sludge remover into the system it should work.

Put the heating on and allow to run til the radiators are hot, Drain the system at a suitable point downstairs, this will drain the upstairs radiators and pipework.

Then refill, refilling will fill at least half the system with clean water, run the heating again then drain. If the water is still black you may want to consider re-draining and draining all downstairs radiators, refill then run til hot and drain again.

Then remove each downstairs radiator (and upstairs if you want to do it properly and you have time) and flush with a hose pipe.

Drain the droppers feeding the downstairs radiators into a bucket, the system is completely empty now. Replace the radiators.

Refill and add inhibitor

It may seem like alot of work, but it shouldn't take too long. Will probably save £300+ on getting a plumber out and power flushing.

It's worth a try and you should notice an improvement.

wayne 78
Tradesman
Tradesman

by wayne 78 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 8:40 pm

thank you for your quick reply its been a great help much appreciated

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1