advise on laying steel mesh in strip foundation
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
b7evan
Labourer
Labourer

advise on laying steel mesh in strip foundation

by b7evan » Fri Nov 09, 2007 9:56 pm

Ok, i am building a two storey extension with a strip foundation, i have dug the 600mm wide trench and boy it took a while as it was 4ft 8" depth to solid clay, building control passed it within seconds.
I have read a few topics on the forum but i was just wanting to know as i am having to go for the spot mix approach, at what point can i lay the steel and how? i will have to be in the trench to level the concrete as its poured in but i don't want to be standing on the steel mesh sections as i need them to be down 50mm into the concrete! any ideas apart from levitating !! ??

Cheers

brian

blackcat
Tradesman
Tradesman

by blackcat » Sat Nov 10, 2007 8:51 pm

unclear why you need steel but to level the concrete stick some metal pins at the level you need around the inside of the trench then mark the pins with marker spray or somethink simler then mark the side of foundation to show you where the pins are
________
Honda VF and VFR specifications
Last edited by blackcat on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

bri-w
Labourer
Labourer

by bri-w » Thu Nov 22, 2007 3:27 pm

I assume your footings are at least 150mm thick.
It would be more usual to set your mesh 50mm from the bottom, not the top. I would do this with small pieces of concrete brick or purpose-made spacers available from building supplies.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 11:06 pm