Advised Planning Permission not Needed - Is This Right?
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

Da-Dad
Labourer
Labourer

Advised Planning Permission not Needed - Is This Right?

by Da-Dad » Sat May 11, 2019 12:26 am

Hello friendly people,

I'm hoping you can help me out with some advice...mostly for the peace of mind.

We want to do a few updates to our bungalow, 1) Extend the current Windows at the front of our house, there are 2 windows about 2m wide each, 1 of them runs nearly floor to ceiling whilst the other is around 70%. 2) Extend the balcony (stone built) with a wood patio about 2.5m out and 6m to the left.

I've spoken to a builder (briefly) and he has advised I dont need planning permission to remove these windows and replace with bi-folding patio glass doors as the current large windows are already there and as this is an old single story flat roof extension with nothing above there is additional support required beams wise.

Also similar to the above, there is an existing stone base balcony on the right side (65cm above the garden - as the garden is lower than the ground floor), we want to extend as above but it would now also sit in front of the 2 windows area. SEE attached diagram of the proposals.

Would the above 2 changes be ok or under PD or planning required? Since they are both basically extending the current windows and balcony we are not sure and not getting a solid answer!

CHEERS for the help

DD
Attachments
exterior back 1.jpg
living room proposal v1.jpg