AG6 Alarm Bellbox Battery and Changing Panel for Optima Compact Gen 4
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Cityjohn
Labourer
Labourer

AG6 Alarm Bellbox Battery and Changing Panel for Optima Compact Gen 4

by Cityjohn » Thu Jun 22, 2017 11:16 pm

Hi,
Can anyone advise me on removing battery from a new bellbox while I change old xm6 panel for optima compact gen 4, what I though would be straight forward pull out then push back in hasn't worked out that way.
The battery is a lot smaller than I expected so harder to handle in confined electrical space but is also fixed in with a line of silicone, very close to electrical fittings. I'm a bit nervous about using a Stanley blade so close to high voltage,am I right in thinking that switching off "alarm" fuse at box and leaving panel battery on will eliminate any high voltage that can be stored in any electrical parts. Making it safe to use blade on silicone.
Also curious about bell battery,how would alarm system work without it. I've heard about alarm going off and people having to climb a ladder at 3 am etc.
Thanks in advance, John

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: AG6 Alarm Bellbox Battery and Changing Panel for Optima Compact Gen 4

by Mr White » Fri Jun 23, 2017 8:03 pm

There is no need to physically remove the battery, you just disconnect one of its wires. (But do remember to put it back later)

Cityjohn
Labourer
Labourer

by Cityjohn » Sat Jun 24, 2017 6:30 am

Thanks mr white for your reply,I appreciate the help you guys give . The problem I have is really baffling me,,the battery has no wires ( never seen this before while researching alarms) it just sits between two metal prongs just like a battery in a radio for example, the obvious thing would be to just pull it out. But it is siliconed on to board along battery body,and I have seen batteries advertised with metal prongs ATTACHED to battery ends and soldered into board which doesn't make sense to me,maybe I'm over thinking this and a bit of tug it and see is needed. Just don't want to damage bellbox if I can.
Thanks, John

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Sat Jun 24, 2017 12:46 pm

As you said you are "over thinking it" The battery has "solder tags" and has been soldered directly onto the PCB. (easier for assembly)

As yours has a pre-mounted battery don't pull it, look for a jumper near the battery. Remove this jumper to disable the battery.

Find the installation paperwork for your sounder, it will tell you on there which jumper is the right one. (Other jumpers may be present for tamper polarity, timer function, LED lights etc.

Cityjohn
Labourer
Labourer

by Cityjohn » Sun Jun 25, 2017 1:10 pm

Thanks mr white, it makes sense now. I was expecting removable battery.
Appreciate the help everyone gives on this site it makes life a lot easier for us amateurs.
Thank, John .

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 30, 2024 3:43 pm