Aggregate: Volume to weight ratio & allowing for compres
Post your questions and get answers regarding all areas of drives, pathways and patios

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tom-mk
Labourer
Labourer

Aggregate: Volume to weight ratio & allowing for compres

by tom-mk » Thu Aug 02, 2007 5:40 pm

Hi,

We are in the process of re-building our drive. We have decided to use gravel with one of the plastic grid options that are now available.

We have excavated the area to a depth of around 26cm, allowing 6-8cm for the final layer of sand, grid and gravel and 20cm for MOT grade 1 hard core.

The problem we are having is that almost no-one will provide a weight to volume conversion ratio. I know we have a volume of approximately 3.12m(cubed). The best I've come up with so far in my local area was 2.3 tonnes to 1m(cubed). This equates to roughly 7.2 tonnes of aggregate. Does this sound about right?

The second problem is that we assume this ratio is that it is for uncompressed aggregate. Is there a guideline for approximately how much it will compress by? The area is approx 6m (long) x 2.5m (wide) x 0.20m (deep). We assume we'll need to order extra to allow for being compacted, the question is how much more, 10%, 20% etc.?

The third and final question, should we consider putting in any type of under ground drainage beneath the hard core? I only ask because I saw it as a recommendation on one of the installation instructions for the plastic grids we were investigating.

Thank you for your assistance with this.

Kind regards,

Tom

neal6140
Labourer
Labourer

by neal6140 » Wed Aug 15, 2007 5:24 pm

HI TOM,

I'VE BEEN GOING THROUGH THE SAME THING; I AM LAYING A 50 SQUARE METRE GRAVEL DRIVE AND AFTER HOURS OF SEARCHING I'VE COME UP WITH THIS....

CUBIC METRES X 1.6 = TONS

WITH REGARD TO COMPRESSION RATIOS, AND GOOD FRIEND WHO HAS BEEN IN THE BUILDING TRADE FOR MANY YEARS SAID, IN GENERAL IT IS ABOUT 25MM TO ACHIEVE 100MM FINAL DEPTH (SO 125MM TO ACHIEVE 100MM). I NEVER ASKED HIM IF IT WOULD CHANGE IF THE DEPTH IS GREATER BUT I WOULDNT THINK IT WOULD.

I HOPE THIS HELPS YOU OUT...

REGARDS

NEAL

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 03, 2024 5:02 am