DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Air admittance or anti-syphon U-bend for kitchen sink

Postby BillBrum » Thu May 25, 2023 5:34 pm

Hello all

I want to stop my sink from gurgling, and wish to fit a new U-bend/P-trap with an integral air admittance valve. I went to my local (very good) plumbers merchant who explained that he only stocked a McAlpine version, and he could tell that it would not fit in my system (I'd taken off the one from under my sink and had taken it with me to his shop). I bought one anyway, just to give it a try. He was right - although they are both 40cm the new kit just won't fit. I have no idea which manufacturer made the existing kit, and all I can find when searching or looking in eg Screwfix is McAlpine. Could someone let me know about other brands, so that I can search for those? Grateful for any help or advice.
U bend - 1.jpg
U bend - 1.jpg (15.69 KiB) Viewed 470 times
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Thu May 25, 2023 5:03 pm


Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Fri May 26, 2023 9:09 pm

Hi billbrum,
Since you have a flexible after the existing trap, you’re probably best fitting a T directly onto the trap and move the flexible further into the cupboard. The AAV then fits on the T.
Regards S
Rank: Project Manager
Posts: 6319
Joined: Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:44 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics