Air Conditioning vent
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
briana
Labourer
Labourer

Air Conditioning vent

by briana » Thu May 08, 2008 12:03 am

I bought a portable air conditioner from B&Q. The instructions say the end of the flexible vent tube should be placed outside of an opening window. But all of my opening windows are too high for the tube to reach, and the unit is too heavy to place on a high pedestal. I am told that I cannot increase the length of the tube because this will cause too much resistance to the flow and cause the unit to fail. But I do have a fully functioning open fireplace and chimney. Can I mount the end of the air con vent tube to vent up the chimney?

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

by ALDA » Thu May 08, 2008 10:49 am

BRIANA,

YOU COULD INSTALL A CAT FLAP IN AN EXTERNAL DOOR AND UTILISE THIS TO VENT THROUGH.

IF YOU PURSUE YOUR IDEA OF UTILISING THE CHIMMNEY, HAVE IT CHECKED OUT FIRST AND SWEPT TO MAKE SURE IT IS CLEAR AND THERE'S NO CHANCE OF ANY OLD SOOT FALLING.

CHEERS,

ALDA.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Thu May 08, 2008 9:42 pm

If the chimney is used by a gas fire, then no you cannot use it for the air-conditioning vent.

For the unit to operate effectively the vent needs to be direct to outside - to get rid of the hot air - the vent can be through a wall, door or window.

No way of doing this ? return the unit as it's no good for your situation.

Htg

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1