Air in Central System
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Exdaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Air in Central System

by Exdaddy » Tue Jan 13, 2009 9:44 pm

I replaced a radiator then refilled the system and bled the radiators. I am getting a lot of noise, particularly around the boiler area and guess I have air in the system.

I have tried bleeding the radiators and the vent valve, but no air escapes. I have also turned the pump up to its highest setting, which mostly reduces the noise, but has not got rid of the air. Turning the pump back to No 2 makes the pipes bang loudly again.

I may not have refilled the system correctly.

If I open the system drain plug, but leave the header tank to refill, will this help to push out the airlocks?

Any other ideas, or should I drain down and refill the system from scratch? If so, any tips for doing this?

Thanks in advance

swidders
Ganger
Ganger

by swidders » Wed Jan 14, 2009 12:20 am

probably easiest to drain the system as you suggest - remember to open all the bleeding valves (no pun intended) starting from the top of the house to completely empty the system and rads.

then close these, let the expansion tank fill up and leave it open and refill with system cold, starting from the bottom of the house. don't forget the inhibitor at some stage!

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Jan 14, 2009 6:20 am

Hi,

Drain down again, after tieing ball valve up.
Refill - bleeding downstairs rads first. (untie ballvalve)

Hth

Exdaddy
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Exdaddy » Wed Jan 14, 2009 9:51 pm

Thanks very much for your replies, I will give it another go and take more care this time!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1