Air separator
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Hightower1978
Apprentice
Apprentice

Air separator

by Hightower1978 » Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:14 pm

Hello.

This is my first post so any help will be much appreciated.

Following the draining down of my system recently the plumber experienced massive problems removing air with boiler locking out on numerous occasions, Potterton Suprima 40.

On discussion with a colleague the plumber informed that a vent pipe was fitted to the top port of the existing air seperator. Additional pipe work was also altered. Previously the cold feed entered the top port of the air seperator, this now enters at bottom port next to feed from boiler. The pump is fed from side port.

This allowed the air to escape system and boiler now works fine. However, several weeks later I discovered that water was pumping over into the f&e tank via the vent pipe although the water level in tank was remaining constant. Obviously this should not be happening and I assume that it has been piped incorrectly. Can anyone please help in any way?

For information. The vent pipe is 15mm and the existing pipe work 22mm would this possibly contribute?
Attachments
img0024.jpg

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

Re: Air separator

by Atticus Finch » Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:35 pm

The air separator is incorrectly installed. It should be on its side!

Although BES (Google "bes.co.uk/products/110.asp" - about 3/4 way down the page) show the air separator as in your pic, that orientation is not shown in the manufacturers leaflet. The left and centre layouts are approved by the manufacturer.

Hightower1978
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Hightower1978 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:41 pm

Thanks for the reply that is very helpful. Obviously a vent pipe should have originally been fitted and I presume this is, and the fact that air seperator was wrong orientation, why he experienced such problems with air in the system?

I have managed to get guy to come to alter pipe work, would you suggest changing air seperator for new at this point? Am I wrong fit thinking that revising should be done for free?

Hightower1978
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Hightower1978 » Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:43 pm

Apologies, forgot to ask. Do you believe this set up is the reason for the pumping over?

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Atticus Finch » Thu Mar 22, 2012 7:47 pm

The design of the air separator means that is has to be on its side, with the side vent pipe at the top, to work properly. So it is quite likely that the way it is currently installed is contributing to the pumping over.

A new separator is about £20, so it might be worth installing a new one. (They do have a reputation for blocking up with sludge.)

As for getting it changed for nothing, that's a difficult one. If he has followed the diagrams on the BES website, it's not his fault if he was misled. So you can't then expect him to put it right for nothing. Probably best to ask him, without revealing what you have learned, why he installed the way he did.

Hightower1978
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Hightower1978 » Fri Mar 23, 2012 8:53 pm

Cheers for the advice.

Guy came back today and fitted new air seperator. Realised that part was fitted incorrectly from new as had fitting instructions for new, exactly same type as well. Altered all pipe work and fit new part, was here nearly four hours, and agreed 30 quid. Appears to have resolved pumping over and happy with both price and work.

Thanks again.

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Atticus Finch » Sun Mar 25, 2012 1:04 pm

Thanks for the follow up.

Yours is not the first installation which has had the air separator installed incorrectly, and I doubt if it will be the last. The good news is: there is now one installer fewer doing it wrongly!

Zahur520
Labourer
Labourer

by Zahur520 » Sun Jun 03, 2012 10:31 pm

If he has followed the diagrams on the BES website, it's not his fault if he was misled. So you can't then expect him to put it right for nothing.

Atticus Finch
Tradesman
Tradesman

by Atticus Finch » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:29 pm

Zahur520 wrote:If he has followed the diagrams on the BES website, it's not his fault if he was misled. So you can't then expect him to put it right for nothing.

But the air separator comes with Installation Instructions supplied by the manufacturer, so the installer should have followed those in the first place. They take precedence over any instructions issued by suppliers.

9 posts   •   Page 1 of 1