Air Vent - allowing freezing air into our sitting room!
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
katus24
Labourer
Labourer

Air Vent - allowing freezing air into our sitting room!

by katus24 » Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:32 am

we had a flueless gas fire fitted around 6 months ago and had the required air vent added to ensure legal circulation.

the air vent does not have an option to close the vents. as a result we now have freezing cold air blowing into the living room. can anyone advise what we can do.

can we change the vent to one that can be open and closed - then ensure vents are open when we use the gas fire as at the minute even with heating on the living room is freezing.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Dec 31, 2008 11:08 am

No, you have to have permanent - purpose provided ventilation for the gas fire. It is against regulations to have closeable vents providing air for a gas appliance.

You have 3 choices:

-Put up with it.
-Change the route of the vents, through doors (not direct to outside)
-Get rid or disconnect gas fire - then you can seal vent up.

htg

AdamsHeating
Ganger
Ganger

by AdamsHeating » Wed Dec 31, 2008 12:14 pm

htg is right, close off that vent and sooner or later you will be no longer in existence.

Do you have a provision for a chinmey, I would suggest that if you do, get a different fire, I will not install flueless because i'm scared of them!

or, turn up the central heating... :)

AH.

Steve the gas
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Steve the gas » Wed Dec 31, 2008 5:48 pm

Flueless fires IMO are dangerous....... end of.

mblago
Tradesman
Tradesman

by mblago » Fri Jan 02, 2009 2:54 pm

You have 3 choices:

-Put up with it.
-Change the route of the vents, through doors (not direct to outside)
-Get rid or disconnect gas fire - then you can seal vent up.

Hi Htg engineer,
Could you explain a bit more about venting through the doors, ( where would the fumes go)I have the same problem with noise and draughts through my 100sq c vent although I have a flued gas fire. i.e up the chimney, we also have a CO2 monitor fitted for extra safety.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:47 pm

Where would the fumes go ?????

You need ventilation for the safe use of gas appliances. You can either have an airbrick or blackhole direct to outside, as you and katus24 have. Or take vents other ways as long as it goes to the outside air.

So through two wooden doors, or through living room door then a UPVC frnt door with a vent installed. Or a vent through living room door and an airbrick in the hall.

At the end of the day you're providing the air required for complete combustion, but any draughts will be in the hall/passage and away from living areas.

htg

Perry525
Site Agent
Site Agent

by Perry525 » Sat Jan 03, 2009 5:12 pm

The best, neatest solution it to provide either an under floor pipe going from the outside to as close to the fire as you can get, to avoid drafts, or drop a pipe down from the loft again as close to the fire as possible.
Providing the pipe is of sufficient volume to serve the fire, it will work OK.

davsas
Apprentice
Apprentice

Same problem, freezing air

by davsas » Thu Nov 25, 2010 8:13 pm

Hi all. I have the same issue. I have 2 air bricks in the kitchen and it is like having the door open! We have a J & S warm air heating system, that has a flue that goes from the boiler through the loft to the open air. So question is do I still need these air bricks for safety?

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1