Airtight Floor
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
QeDpIn
Labourer
Labourer

Airtight Floor

Post by QeDpIn » Sun May 04, 2008 12:18 am

I live in an upper flat and I have the problem of noise and cigarette smoke coming up from a new neighbour in the flat below. Can anyone advise the best way of stopping this smoke (the noise is a lesser issue) from coming through the floorboards and my [virtually new] carpet and underlay into my flat. The floorboards are a bit uneven. So far I've had suggestions of covering the floorboards with laminate floor underlay, plywood, hardboard, MDF and fiberboard. I need something I can then fix the carpet back on top of. Can anyone help, please?

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Sun May 04, 2008 10:26 pm

Are you sure it's coming through the floor?

Complain to the neighbour and / or freeholder.

It probably should be the responsibility of one of them and at their expense rather than yours to deal with the nuiscance you are experiencing.

Cheers

QeDpIn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by QeDpIn » Mon May 05, 2008 4:27 pm

Hi Rosebery,

Thanks for responding. Yes, unfortunately it is coming up through the floor.

It is my theory, although unproven, that the problem arose when the property below was purchased by a developer and converted from a one to a two bedroom property. It was then sold on and I've had problems since, the worst being recently, possibly due to the level of smoking of the new occupant.

I have spoken to the flat owner and written to the tenant outlining the problem (asking him to have a word with the owner about it) and have been told by both that they are unwilling to do anything to resolve it.

The Environmental Health department of the local Council say they can come around to witness the smoke in my flat, but there is little they can do about it, so it seems it falls back to me to try to prevent it.

This isn't an issue I can ignore as it is making me feel quite ill, despite having purchased an air purifier to try to limit it, so any advice on what I can do to my flat to try to stop it coming in would be very welcome.

Thanks.

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Tue May 06, 2008 11:41 am

I'd be tempted to lift the carpet and underlay and then lay a plastic membrane across the floor before refitting the above.

I don't know what effect this would have on any dampness as you would effectively be trapping any moist air below the floorboards but it might be worth a try.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Wed May 07, 2008 10:21 am

Addressing the problem from above won't solve it I'm afraid. Between the fllor and the ceiling below is a nice big void where the smoke can circulate at leisure and then come up through gaps in the floorboards anywhere. You'll be forever trying to block up the floor and even then might not solve it.

It can't be coming through the ceiling below everywhere. There HAS to be a single (or perhaps 2 but in the limit very few) place downstairs wher it is escaping from the room below. It's that that needs blocking up and that needs cooperation from the tenant below and the landlord. If they won't cooperate then your recourse is the Council.

I'm surprised at the Council frankly. They can serve abatement notices for smoke nuisance from a bonfire so why not from cigarette smoke. There is no doubt you are suffering nuisance and have the right to have something done about it.

If the Environmental Health people won't deal with it speedily and sympathtically then accelerate you complaint to your councillor. Bet they'll move then.

Cheers

QeDpIn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by QeDpIn » Sun May 11, 2008 11:01 pm

Thanks for your replies, but the noise is now also becoming a problem as it is getting louder by the day, the other night being the last straw - a midweek, all night party with blaring music, shouting, swearing and slamming doors that started just after midnight and continued until 5.30am - so I'm thinking it'll be me that's doing the moving. I had it for 5 years from the flat above until an ASBO stopped it and now I have 2 of them (the tenants are related to each other), above and below. I might take the Councillor idea on board though as I'll need to get this sorted before I try to sell.

Thanks.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue May 13, 2008 9:36 am

That's a shame that you have to consider moving because of inconsiderate neighbours.

Actually if there is also a serious noise problem you have an even better case for the Environmental people to take notice.

I'd try them again. If the midnight to 05.30 nonsense happens again there will be a 24 hour number with someone on duty 24 hours at the council to deal with this. Ring them immediately and get them round. They will come and do have powers to get it stopped.

Sorry not to have been able to be more help.

Cheers

ALDA
Foreman
Foreman

Post by ALDA » Tue May 13, 2008 7:58 pm

ROSEBERRY,

AND PRESUMABLY, ALSO A PERFECT TIME(LOTS OF CIGGIES BEING PUFFED ON) FOR THE EHO TO WITTNESS THE SMOKE INFILTRATION INTO THE ABODE (SIGHT AND/OR SMELL).

QeDpIn,

CLEARLY THE BALL IS ONLY EVER GOING TO BE IN YOUR COURT AND I WOULD BE SORELY TEMPTED TO ADDRESS THE PROBLEM FROM ABOVE AND AS HAS BEEN PREVIOUSLY SUGGESTED TO YOU, USING THE PLYWOOD OPTION BUT WITH THE ADDITION OF SEALANT RUN CONTINUOUSLY AROUND THE UNDERSIDE PERIPHERY OF EVERY PLYBOARD, IN THE JOINTS TOO AND AT THE SKIRTING BOARDS.
(YOU COULD EVEN SEAL EVERY EXISTING FLOORBOORD GAP TOO. =OVERKILL?).

I THINK THIS WILL BE ADIQUATE AND WILL ALSO EVEN OUT THE WOBBLY EXISTING FLOOR, PROVIDE THE NECESSARY SURFACE FOR YOUR CARPETING AND DAMPEN THE NOISE PROBLEM SLIGHTLY ALL IN AN EFFORT TO MAKE YOUR REMAINING TIME AT THE PROPERTY MORE COMFORTABLE AND WILL HELP TO SELL THE PROPERTY ON IF YOU HAVE TO.

REGARDS TO ALL,

ALDA.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 9:58 am