All those wires can sum1 help me!!
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dev2008
Labourer
Labourer

All those wires can sum1 help me!!

by Dev2008 » Tue Apr 08, 2008 10:34 pm

ok pretty basic i guess but here goes.....

I have been systematically going through the house changing some lights fromthe old ones to new. everything gone ok till i get upstairs into bathroom light fitting to find A) the previous occupier had fitted it by hammerring the support screws in and B) loads of wires that Im not entirely sure what to do with.

1 red wire which was attached to the old fitting

1 blue wire encased in grey sleeving which looked like it was chopped off and not used.

1 earth goes without saying.

and 2 black wires also covered in grey sleeving that look as though they had been put together in the same terminal.

now the rest of my lights upstairs dont work and im guessing its because the circuit is down.

My new light fitting gives me a Live a Neutral and an earth.

does anyone have any advice before i either fire my house or have to call an electrician out (not necessarily in that order)

See the link here to look at a picture of how its wired at the moment, (just copy the link into your browsers address bar.) I have tried numerous ways but none of the lights work upstairs as of yet from each attempt.

http://www.ezpixs.com/UserImages/14813.jpg
Last edited by Dev2008 on Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:56 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Apr 09, 2008 10:33 am

Your account does not seem to follow normal wiring practice. There is a diagram in projects. There are either two or three cables in each ceiling rose each with earth, line, and a neutral colour wire. But with the latter one will normally have red or brown sleeve to show it is return from the switch. All line coloured wires go together but do not go to lamp. All neutrals go together and also go to light neutral but not the one with sleeving which goes to light line. But in bathrooms shaving sockets and fans may also connect to lighting supply with so many connecting junction boxes are common. As to what you have I can't help but maybe closer look will show it loosely follows same design?
Having now seen your edited version with link I would expect that some cables have popped back through the hole? If above is a loft space I would go into loft and have a look.
Last edited by ericmark on Wed Apr 09, 2008 1:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dev2008
Labourer
Labourer

by Dev2008 » Wed Apr 09, 2008 12:59 pm

[quote="ericmark"]Your account does not seem to follow normal wiring practice. There is a diagram in projects. There are either two or three cables in each ceiling rose each with earth, line, and a neutral colour wire. But with the latter one will normally have red or brown sleeve to show it is return from the switch. All line coloured wires go together but do not go to lamp. All neutrals go together and also go to light neutral but not the one with sleeving which goes to light line. But in bathrooms shaving sockets and fans may also connect to lighting supply with so many connecting junction boxes are common. As to what you have I can't help but maybe closer look will show it loosely follows same design?[/quote]

Thanks for that ericmark but Im a complete Layperson when it comes to terminology etc.. lol but here look i put a link in my original post that shows you the state of play maybe this will give you or someone else a better idea thanks again matey!!

ericmark

by ericmark » Fri Apr 11, 2008 3:25 am

I have looked at the link and without seeing what wire goes with which cable I can't work out what is what. I will guess there are more cables just the other side of the hole with another connector block and a wire has popped out of the block.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:38 pm