alternative rafter support
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sueprice
Labourer
Labourer

alternative rafter support

by sueprice » Mon Jan 19, 2009 2:36 am

Hi,

I believe my house was built approx 1948. My problem is roof beams that come in at an angle into the centre. hence I have to climb over them. I have a chimmey stack in the centre and upright beams to rafters from the four corners of this. Obviously, the four uprights are there because of the chimmey, but the beams running at an angle are not attached to them, there is about a 12" distance. Can I remove these angle beams and replace with uprights nearer to the outer perimeter of the attic? I am thinking about a conversion, but not for a good few years. I don't mind having the chimmey there, but apart from re-siting the loft hatch I cannot use the space in my loft to it's potential, because it is difficult to climb between the uprights and the angled beams. they are bolted on and not very thick, less than an inch and one has in fact snapped, so is not supporting anything. (like it when I moved in)
Cheers Sue

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Jan 19, 2009 10:42 pm

sueprice,
In principle, diagonal bracings can be replaced with upright struts however I would strongly recommend you get someone in to have a look at your proposal.
end

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Fri Jan 30, 2009 9:25 am

If you type the key words of your question into our search box to the left of the site you may find the answer is already posted or is in the DIY projects section of the website. Every post goes through a monitoring process and using the search box may speed up your answer.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 15, 2024 7:38 am