American Standards Toilet Bangs During Refill?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
johnfalset
Labourer
Labourer

American Standards Toilet Bangs During Refill?

by johnfalset » Mon Sep 24, 2018 5:32 am

A new American Standards dual-flush toilet emits a bang when refilling after a flush. The toilet was installed by a handyman who is no longer available.

The bang only occurs after the small flush. There is no bang after the bi flush.
The sound is somewhat like a rap on the ceramic cistern body.
The sound emanates from the cistern itself - it is not pipes banging in the wall.

I tried reducing the input water flow and the bang did seem to be a little quieter but it was still prominent.

I will be grateful for any help to eliminate this annoying noise. JWF.

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

Re: American Standards Toilet Bangs During Refill?

by KitchenGuy » Wed Sep 26, 2018 12:42 am

Sounds to me like the syphon or inlet valve knocking on the side of the cistern. Lift off the lid and flush and the source of the banging will most likely be visible. It may need to be spun a bit to a new location.

johnfalset
Labourer
Labourer

by johnfalset » Sat Sep 29, 2018 11:46 am

Thanks Kitchenguy : unfortunately that does not seem to be the problem. When I flush with the top removed from the cistern, the noise changes from a loud clunk or bang, to a softer thud that seems to come from lower down in the flush mechanism. It occurs to me that the mechanism that one activates to flush by pressing the button is somehow transferring the noise to the lid causing it to sound like a rap on the ceramic lid. But I cannot see what is causing the noise.
Any further help will be appreciated.
JWF.

KitchenGuy
Ganger
Ganger

by KitchenGuy » Sun Sep 30, 2018 2:39 am

Why not just change the whole flush mechanism and be done with it. They range from about a fiver for a lever handle type and you can pick up a push button flush for about a tenner. They don't take too long to change and not beyond the range of a competent DIY'er.

johnfalset
Labourer
Labourer

by johnfalset » Sat Oct 06, 2018 2:47 am

Thanks again. The toilet is brand new. I will wait to see if there is more advice.

JWF.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Mar 22, 2024 6:27 pm