Angle grinder - 230 mm DISC REMOVAL!!!!
information and advice on general building topics, builders merchants, problem builders, DIY Stores etc....

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
worm
Apprentice
Apprentice

Angle grinder - 230 mm DISC REMOVAL!!!!

by worm » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:24 pm

I have a Makita 230mm 240V angle grinder. It has been in the garage for a year or more now, and I have tried to replace the disc but with no such luck!!

I thnk it may be rusted on.

Even coated in WD-40 and left to soak overnight, and a hammer bashing to loosen the disc from the plumber...still no luck

Any suggestions, as I don't want to chuck it.

Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

disc removal

by welsh brickie » Tue Oct 28, 2008 8:22 am

slide a small scaffold pole over the key to create more leverage get 1 person to hold the grinder and key in place while you slowly turn the key

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 10:59 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

gillygog
Labourer
Labourer

by gillygog » Mon Apr 13, 2009 10:54 pm

If you are still struggling..read on.

Place the blade in a vice protect the blade if necessary and then use an appropriate spanner on the spindle on the rear of the blade (small gap between the blade and the actual machine.). If your spanner is too thick grinde it down a tadge.
This has always worked for me.

Good Luck.

Ressy
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Angle grinder - 230 mm DISC REMOVAL!!!!

by Ressy » Fri Apr 16, 2010 11:16 pm

[quote="worm"]I have a Makita 230mm 240V angle grinder. It has been in the garage for a year or more now, and I have tried to replace the disc but with no such luck!!

I thnk it may be rusted on.

Even coated in WD-40 and left to soak overnight, and a hammer bashing to loosen the disc from the plumber...still no luck

Any suggestions, as I don't want to chuck it.

Thanks[/quote]
Hope I am doing this right, as I have never replied on this site before but felt I must answer as I had the same problem. I found that underneath the actual disc on the shaft was a thin flat that I could get a 19 mm spanner on, (you may have to grind the spanner to make it thinner) I then put the outer disc that holds on the grinding disc in a vice and used the spanner with great success to undo the outer disc, just remember which way it has to go to undo ????
Good luck
Ressy

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 8:12 pm