Another cable damaged by a drill
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Another cable damaged by a drill

by Dadwood » Sat Dec 06, 2008 8:50 pm

I just read the plea from the lad who drilled thro a cable. My kitchen fitter has just done the same thing; he's gone thro a cable supplying a 13amp socket outlet. Ideally, I would like the contractor to replace the entire cable from the adjacent outlet (it's a ring main), but the existing cable is well and truly anchored behing the wall plaster. The 'electrician' wants to reconnect the two ends of damaged cable with a connector block and then plaster over it again, but I'll not let that happen until someone can confirm that such practice is acceptable. (and I don't think it is). Would it be OK to sink a patress box into the wall ajacent to the damaged ends and use a 20amp junction box to make good the repair? Any advice would be much appreciated - I don't have a great deal of confidence in these so called professional kitchen crews.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Dec 07, 2008 1:42 pm

If the join is to be plastered over then you are not allowed to use anything that uses screws to grip the wire. hager make a special junction box which has push in connectors with some spring clip arrangement which is allowed. Also it is common to crimp the cables and cover with shrink sleeve with epoxy resin on inside or self amalgamating tape then normal tape over that. In other words a water proof covering so if wall ever becomes wet no water can enter joint.
The old round junction box is not permitted as it uses screws to grip cables.
526.3 Every connection shall be accessible for inspection, testing and maintenance, except for the following:
(i) A joint designed to be buried in the ground
(ii) A compound-filled or encapsulated joint
(iii) A connection between a cold tail and the heating element as in ceiling heating, floor heating or a trace heating system
(iv) A joint made by welding, soldering, brazing or appropriate compression tool
(v) A joint forming part of the equipment complying with the appropriate product standard.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:23 pm