Another question about cable length calculations.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Another question about cable length calculations.

Post by Dadwood » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:27 am

I want to fit 4 low voltage lights under my kitchen wall cabinets. Each lamp is 12v 10W. Each will be wired to a mains transformer having individual connections for the 4 pairs. The cable run to the lamp furthest from the transformer is 6m (20 feet). Two questions please: 1. What size cables shall I use for the low voltage side? 2. Do all 4 cables need to be the same length in order to avoid imbalances within the transformer?

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:04 pm

Dadwood,
you will find that the manufacturers instruction usually give a recommendatated cable CSA for extra low voltage equipment (it's not low voltage) normally 1.0mm csa.
Ideally evenly spaced is always best but I don't suspect it will make much differnce in this case.
Regards
KB
Last edited by kbrownie on Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dadwood
Ganger
Ganger

Post by Dadwood » Tue Mar 24, 2009 5:20 pm

kbrownie,
Many thanks for your kind reply. The transformer manufacturer's instructions are all in the German, so I will ask a friend, fluent in that language, to translate for me. (Once again, I have to thank this forum and its experts for providing such valuable help. Our local kitchen installer told me to run it all in bell wire; "It's only 12volts", he said. "You're worrying about nothing".) How wrong, and potentially dangerous, would that have been if I'd heeded his 'advice'. Thank you again.
Kind regards, Dadwood.

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by rosebery » Tue Mar 24, 2009 8:54 pm

Ha Ha. So the kitchen installer doesn't understand the difference between volts and amps and their relationship. Unbelievable!

Cheers

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:54 am