DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Any differs between woodcare brush & emulsion brush? (I)

Postby Jamesb » Wed Aug 04, 2010 9:13 am

Hi, everyone, please excuse my novice in this area, because I got so many questions that need you guys to help me!

This is only my part I of my questions, i will post the others later~

1. What does one look for in a good “woodcare brush”. I would assume that any brush that has pure bristle would work just fine as a “woodcare brush”, including a generic Emulsion Brush that is made of pure bristle? If so, why do the stores label the brushes as “woodcare brush” specifically? What makes a good “woodcare brush” and why can I not do the same job using an Emulsion brush made of pure bristle?

2. Also, some brushes are labeled as “woodstain brush” or “timbercare brush”. Are there actual functional differences between the “woodcare brush”, “timbercare brush” and “woodstain brush”?

3. How would you differentiate the functions of a Timbercare Brush from a Woodcare brush, and if so, what are the characteristics of a Timbercare brush that is different from a Woodcare brush?

Sorry for my long questions, Hope somebody can help me, >.< THANKS!!!!
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Aug 04, 2010 7:16 am


Gorilla Glue heavy duty grab adhesive

Postby theshedman » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:53 am

Hi James, you won't notice much difference in the types of brush ie, emulsion, stain, gloss etc. I personally only use Hamilton brushes except if it is a once only job where you are going to dump it afterwards as some paints cost more for stuff to clean them than they are actually worth or if it's for painting a fence where the bristles will wear down fast. If you buy the cheap brushes you wil find that they usually have shorter bristles than the more expensive ones like Hamilton so will last less time and the bristles fall out more so you spend a lot of time picking them off what you have already painted. When undercoating you need a brush with longer bristles than when glossing, so use new brushes for undercoat then when they have worn a bit use them for glossing. I find that if you have a good selection of brushes from 1/2" inch to around 3" then you will be fine and a roller for bigger jobs.
Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 210
Joined: Thu Jul 09, 2009 11:11 am

Postby JRS » Sat Aug 21, 2010 8:02 pm

I use Purdy they have a great range of synthetic and pure bristle which is far better than hamilton perfection, Altho the new s serious is rather good for glossing.

Its more of cost than what its usage, i would say ie you wouldnt buy the best purdy/hamilton to paint your fence you would use a cheap brush as the finish is not required where as if you are painting a house with emulsion you want to minimise bristle marks when cutting in and also when glossing. I use the purdy or my 1.5 hamilton S.
Rank: Ganger
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 188
Joined: Thu May 27, 2010 8:29 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics