Any tips for removing a stubborn central heating pump?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
simon_williams
Apprentice
Apprentice

Any tips for removing a stubborn central heating pump?

by simon_williams » Mon Oct 05, 2009 1:46 pm

I have been trying to loosen the two brass nuts without success.

Been using one adjustable holding the smaller end of the adjacent gate valve, and a pump wrench on the larger nut which I'm trying to turn.

Even with the second spanner, the pipes are beginning to twist and I feel uneasy about putting too much force into the pipework.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Mon Oct 05, 2009 10:04 pm

simon_williams,
Run penetrating liquid liberally around the threads and leave for a day or so, then try again.
end

DEEARR2
Ganger
Ganger

by DEEARR2 » Tue Oct 06, 2009 7:12 pm

Recently had a similar experience where no matter what i tried the valve nuts would not budge. Finally had to drain the system and replace the pump valves via the compression fittings.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:36 am

You could try heating the nuts up, this normally helps to free them.

If not you can normally cut the brass nuts off with a hacksaw and the new nuts (at the correct angle) will fit over the gate valve - no need to drain.

htg

beedlebum51
Labourer
Labourer

by beedlebum51 » Wed Oct 07, 2009 6:50 pm

Hi Simon

I have come across this problem myself. An old and very expierienced plumber gave me this advice. Take two medium size hammers and tap the main nuts on opposite flats at the same time. Work your way around each nut a couple of times then try the spanners again. Dont hit too hard you don't want to destroy the system just free the nuts. It worked for me when I had almost given up.

Tony

simon_williams
Apprentice
Apprentice

by simon_williams » Thu Oct 08, 2009 10:16 pm

Thank you all for your replies.

I managed to release one side, but the other was impossible. I had to resort to draining and taking the gate valves off with the pump.

The stubborn one finally came off with the pump in a vice, the gasket fell apart though, which brings me to another question - can you buy just the gaskets for gate valves, are do you generally need to buy a complete assembly?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Oct 09, 2009 2:40 pm

If you look at the nuts - new or old, see if there's two squares cut out each side, place these over the flange part of the valve, you can normally cut the nuts off old pump valves and replace the nuts without draining or removing the valve.

htg

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1