Apartment Regulations Bathroom Zones and IP44 Regs
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Confused_Resident
Labourer
Labourer

Apartment Regulations Bathroom Zones and IP44 Regs

by Confused_Resident » Mon Feb 09, 2015 7:14 pm

Hello,

I've been searching the forums on here and other sites trying to find an answer to my problem. We live in an apartment and the comittee have now deemed that to comply with regs and Health and Safety each apartment needed to be inspected by an electrician. We had to go along with this (even though it is owned outright not rented) and he has told the comittee we need new spot lights in our en-suite and main bathroom as they are not IP44 at a cost to us. Now.... our ceilings are 12 ft (365cm) high. I've looked into the zones and we are classed as outside zone and the spots are fine as they don't need to be rated. This is my understanding anyway. The comtitte (gestapo) don't seem to be taking this on board and say to meet regs and sure we can obtain buildings insurance WE HAVE TO have the new spots installed at our cost. This is not a new build, its is over 20 years old, I'm now thinking can they order us to do this or is it just advisable to bring it up to current regulations? As you can probably tell I do not get on with the all powerful comittee and the Fuher who inists hes addressed as Chairman...I kid you not. Sorry for the long winded ramble, I just can't find anything concrete to fire back at them. Please accept my apologies if this has been posted in the wrong sections.

Many thanks!

diydoctor6
Ganger
Ganger

Re: Apartment Regulations Bathroom Zones and IP44 Regs

by diydoctor6 » Mon Oct 30, 2017 2:35 pm

This is really a moral question, Confused_Resident.

We have just published a new project that explains the bathroom zones and the required IP ratings for appliances which should help you determine what is needs according to the regulations:

https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/ba ... -zones.htm

However, you have a social responsibility to everyone in your block to be safe, and that can be determined by your committee. Sounds like you need to talk to them about this and present them with a compelling argument to be a little more relaxed?

Confused_Resident
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Apartment Regulations Bathroom Zones and IP44 Regs

by Confused_Resident » Mon Oct 30, 2017 4:57 pm

Ok, this was 2 1/2 years ago. We got it confirmed that out lights are well outside any zone and they had no reason to change them. I told the commitee this much and they didn't have a leg to stand on as their electrician confirmed it.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1