Appendix 6 OSG
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Appendix 6 OSG

Post by kbrownie » Tue Sep 30, 2008 7:24 am

Hi all, I'm sorry if I keep coming up with questions regarding subjects that may be out of the scope of your average DIYer.
Just been doing some cable calcs. Whilst doing these there was a sentence on page 125 in The OSG which reads as follows; For cable installed in thermal insulation as described in Tables 6D1, 6E1 and 6F no correction is required.
Does anyone no the reason for this as these cables are of a typical type and would be expected to be installed in a whole host of places.
Also why is there a correction factor 0f 0.9 for cable buried underground and what is considered to be buried, this is regarding to correction factor Cc.
Any thoughts are welcome.
Kb

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:32 pm

Hi. KB (&EricM),
I think this is another example of poor English in both the guide & the regs itself.
Tables in OSG are as you will have seen are just renumbered versions of the regs tables (why do they not keep them the same?)!!!!
ie 6D1 = 4D1A, 6E1 = 4D2A, 6F = 4D5.
I believe the comment only applies to column headed ref method A, and should SAY SO!,
As for buried cables I presume opposite of 'Free Air' ie poor heat loss possible from cable due to being surrounded by 'insulating' soil as opposed to being in a duct,
I await contradictions to above with interest.
BTW there is someone called 'Henry' who 'lifts' posts from this site & reposts them verbatum on the NAPIT members forum in a very derogatory manner....
one day we shall meet!!!
regards SPARX

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Tue Sep 30, 2008 6:43 pm

Hi Sparx, Thanks for reply now that makes a little more sense!
It's a shame that they found this not important enough to put in to print!
I agree totally about renumbering of tables it's drives me nuts! What's the reasoning about it!
Cheers again Sparx

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 02, 2024 5:18 am